HomeLibraryFact SheetsDisplay

Reporting a Retiree/Annuitant Death

Notify the Defense Finance and Accounting Service at (800) 321-1080. Please have the decedent's Social Security number and the date of death when you call. DFAS asks that survivors send one photocopy of a death certificate - when available -- which indicates the cause of death. Please send it to:

For Retirees
Address: DFAS U.S. Military
Retirement Pay
P.O. Box 7130
London, KY 40742-7130
Fax: (800) 469-6559

For Annuitants
Address: DFAS, U.S. Military
Annuitant Pay
P.O. Box 7131
London, KY 40742-7131
Fax: (800) 982-8459

DFAS will take steps to close out the pay account to prevent any overpayments. If the decedent was a retiree enrolled in the Survivor Benefit Plan and/or the Retired Serviceman's Family Protection Plan, pay officials will take additional steps to initiate pay accounts for eligible survivors.

Designated beneficiaries of retirees should expect a Standard Form 1174 and, if applicable, SBP/RSFPP-related forms in the mail within 7 to 10 business days of reporting the death. People needing additional assistance should call (800) 321-1080

Other agencies to notify include:

Social Security Administration -- Click here or call (800) 772-1213.

Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System, or DEERS -- (800) 538-9552.
If the person was receiving disability compensation or Dependency Indemnity Compensation, notify the Department of Veterans Affairs -- (800) 827-1000.

If the person was a civil servant or retired civil servant, notify the Office of Personnel Management -- (888) 767-6738.

If the person was enrolled in DVA-sponsored insurance such as Veterans' Group Life Insurance, Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance, or the Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Protection Program notify them at (800) 827-1000.

If you live near a military installation you may be able to receive help with administrative matters from a casualty assistance officer or volunteers from the Retiree Activities Office. (Please note that these services are not available at all military installations.) Call (877) 353-6807 for the nearest casualty assistance officer. Click here to find the nearest RAO.